I’m going to direct my first short film in June. This is a project that has been with me for the past 9 months and finally I’m going to make it a reality.
The setting is Eastern Europe in 1978 and the subject is child abandonment.
My husband is 100% behind me on this project and when I asked him if he would produce it (he produced many music videos and commercials back in the day), he got very excited.
We went on a long brainstorming walk and we ended up challenging ourselves to shooting a sustainable film and we started listing all the benefits that the community and the cast and crew would get from sustainable filming.
Here are a few ideas that we were throwing around:
- We’ll be eating locally grown fruits and vegetables on set that will benefit everybody’s health.
- We’ll be using public transportation and/or bike transport for everybody and for everything, which will reduce cost and the hassle of street closure, parking permits, and we won’t make enemies with the neighbors because we won’t take away their parking spots.
- We’ll be catering from local restaurants and local vendors so that the food can be biked or walked to set. This will benefit a local business and the community. We’ll bring our own containers to pick up the food or we’ll ask to be catered in reusable containers.
- We won’t use any plastic bags for anything that we carry, pick up, order, etc. Only canvas.
- We’ll be asking people to bring their coffee mug and/or water bottle.
- We’ll be using washable utensils and plates for eating, which will make people feel like they are part of the family, not just on a temporary job.
- We will shoot at a location that is easily accessible via bus, train, bike, foot and car.
- This is going to be a SAG project so doing the paperwork online will reduce waste.
- All casting submission will be done electronically.
- All meetings are going to be held locally and accessible via all modes of transport.
- If we need generators, we will plan on using SolaRover(http://www.solarover.com), the solar generator recommended to me by actress and producer Melinda Augustina.
- We”ll use sustainable options to lighting, set design and filming.
The production of this film is also the topic of a film of a sustainable production, which means, we’ll get two films out of one shoot.
Now that is sustainable!
I’m nervous about directing and I’m nervous about making this film the perfectly sustainable film, but I’m confident that I’m doing the right thing and right things will always come out on top.
If you have any tips for me on reducing the carbon footprint of my film, please send me an email. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!
Please be on the lookout for my project on the LA Casting Direct Cast page.
A wonderful May to you all,
Enci is a Mother, Actress, Artist and Activist.
Contact Enci with article suggestions or find her on Twitter, Facebook and other networking sites to connect. When contacting her, please introduce yourself and tell her you read her column in the Networker.